What to wear for a professional headshot
- Think classic.
- Pick your favorite suit that fits you well and is preferably a classic dark color like navy blue or gray.
- Choose a suit that doesn't bunch up when you button it or if you sit down, and a shirt and tie that match each other and the suite
- Ties look best when their tone lands between the suit and the shirt-- so a light shirt, a dark suit, and a tie in a shade somewhere between them.
- Stay away from anything with bold, distracting patterns or colors.
- Stay away from tight grid-like patterns. Thin stripes that are a little further apart are okay.
- Stay away from really reflective, shiny, silk ties.
- If you don't wear a tie, choose a non-white shirt if possible: white shirts without a jacket and tie to break them up can lose detail in the color and folds.
- If you wear a button-down shirt, it's best to wear a jacket or sweater of some kind to layer the look.
- If not, choose a darker color shirt or something with pockets or details to avoid it looking like a head floating on a blank, boxy shirt, and unbutton a button or two.
***And make sure we can't see your undershirt beneath the button-down shirt: wear a v-neck or no undershirt at all.